Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Church Bag!


I don't think that you can ever have too many bags!  They are just too cute.  Recently I decided that I needed a church bag that was separate from the diaper bag. I told Jordan that I wanted to make one. He covered my eyes, led me to the bag rack hanging behind our bedroom door, and told me to open my eyes and pick one. Boys. Didn't he realize that only two of them are big enough to hold lesson manuals, scriptures, binders, etc., and that one looks like a beach bag, and the other one is 3 times bigger than I need it to be? Sorry, won't work! So I seriously needed a new one. (Or maybe I just seriously needed an excuse for a new craft project, which doubles as an excuse for Jordan to entertain B for a few hours, thus giving me somewhat of a "break".)

As always, I started searching the craft blogs for ideas.  I found the tutorial for this one here:

And that tutorial's inspiration came from here: (I also liked the stripes better than the patchwork, but I do think both are really cute.)

Remember when I started this blog I was going to put instructions for the projects? Yeah, maybe I'll do that if I ever come up with an original idea. But since I just take my ideas from everyone else, you can read their tutorials instead! :)

Lessons learned:
1. Make the "bow" strip longer than you think it needs to be because you can trim it later if you need to. I wish I'd made mine longer.
2. Don't sew at night because you mess everything up and have to redo it. (Maybe you would have better luck with this if you are a night owl!)
3. Choose cute fabrics before you cut them out, so you don't receive a unanimous "those colors are ugly together" from the family and have to redo your cutting.
4. Hide the finished project from your 2 year old so you can actually use it yourself. This immediately became a "shopping bag" and was loaded with fake food and then driven "around town" on a Disney princess ride on car. (While simultaneously being dragged across my dirty floors!)

Our days of playing musical bags/books/snacks/diapers at church are over! I have a church bag! And yet another one to hang on the back of our door. Jordan will be so happy! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment