Saturday, January 14, 2012

Ruffled Book Bag


What did I say about bags? Not only can't I ever have too many, neither can my daughter! Every time we go to the library, she wants to carry the books to the car. I thought she needed her own little library book bag, and I just so happened to have 2 remaining plain white tote bags from a 3 pack I bought over a year ago. 

I started tinkering with the Cricut, trying to make a cute stencil that I could use with some fabric paint. Then I thought it would be cuter to embellish the bag with fabric somehow. As always, I turned to Google to see what the creative people of this world had come up with. I was juuuuuuust about to cut out a cute shape and stitch it on the front of the bag and then I found THIS!:

Um, YES PLEASE!

Well, her bag is a little bit cuter, but it doesnt' matter because B loves it and it took me ONE HOUR! You expert seamstresses out there could probably do it in 5 minutes!


A white bag that is owned by a 2 year old must be washable! I was trying to think of a way to put the flowers on that wasn't permanent. Duh! Safety pins and hot glue. You see that everywhere! Now I can take them off and they won't get destroyed when little miss book bag goes for a swim in the washing machine.

I think I'm going to make a little band of fabric or find some coordinating ribbon to sew along the top of the top ruffle. It was night time, and I somehow overlooked the fact that I still had dark green thread in my sewing machine. A little band would help that top edge look cleaner, but Jordan thinks it's fine because the bottom of each ruffle is going to fray a little bit too. We will see what I decide!

If you do the linked tutorial, here are my lessons learned:
1. Make sure your bag is short enough that you can weasel it onto your sewing machine. Even with my extra compartment taken off, it was hard to get it on, hold it on, and sew in a straight line. Good thing those ruffles are the ones on the bottom! :)

2. She said to make the ruffle length 2 to 3 times the width of your bag. My bag is 13 inches and I used the whole width of my fabric, which was probably 42 inches. I don't think the ruffles are too condensed, either. So if you want yours to be less ruffly than mine, cut your strips shorter than 42 inches! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment