Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Everything I Know About Vinyl

In case you are wondering about doing your own vinyl, here is everything I know:

You can buy rolls of it at Roberts (two sheets, 12x24" each), and I think they are under the Cricut label.  You can also buy it by the foot at Roberts, which gives you the option of more colors in smaller quantities, which is nice if you don't need a lot of one color.

I've also bought rolls of it from signwarehouse.com.  They are HUGE, like 30 feet long or something, but I split them with a friend. This is also where I bought my transfer tape. Definitely less expensive than Roberts, but really only makes sense if you plan on doing a ton of vinyl crafts. My friend and I bought two rolls of vinyl and one roll of transfer tape an\about 4 years ago and I still have some of each color left! And tons of transfer tape! (You need the transfer tape to transfer your image from the vinyl backing to your final surface.)

My most recent, and favorite, discovery is vinyl4decor.com.  They have a store in the St. George mall, too. If you "like" them on Facebook, you can find out about their weekly $2 pre-made cuts. $2!!!! Seriously! In the past, it's only been available for in-store pickup, but recently I saw a promo where they were willing to ship the $2 cut of the week. They also had a flat shipping rate of $5. They can custom make you anything in any color, too. Plus they have a ton of really cute pre-made things for sale. The other thing I LOVE about this store is that they sell their scrap vinyl in big rolls of random colors/shapes/sizes for $4! I can't believe I just put that little-known-fact out there, because they usually only have one or two rolls at a time. And now I have more competition! (If anyone is reading this! :)) It is perfect for using with the Cricut! The rolls seem to always have a lot of black, white, brown, and beige since those are the colors the store uses most. Those happen to be the colors I use most, too. So that is definitely the best deal. I wonder if they would ship rolls in the mail.

And finally, when you are cutting your vinyl on your Cricut, remember "3-3-3". The blade depth, pressure, and speed all need to be set to 3 for it to work! There are a lot of videos on youtube where people have demonstrated this, which is where I learned when I did it the first time. Go check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment